Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 2012 08:51:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One or Four?

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Sat Feb 18 01:59:53 2012
> From: Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
> Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:54:36 -0800
> To: Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: One or Four?
>

> On 17 February 2012, at 23:21, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>
> >> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Fri Feb 17 19:56:00 2012
> >> From: Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
> >> Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:50:44 -0800
> >> Subject: Re: One or Four?

> >> I only run servers and set them up with /, /usr, and swap.  Other partitions
> >> are placed on other disks with typically one partition per disk.  I link /var
> >> and /tmp into /usr.
> >
> > That last is a *BAD*IDEA*(tm).  There _are_ programs that assume that /var/tmp
> > and /usr/tmp are *different* places -- and will attempt to create 'distinct'
> > files _with_the_same_name_ in the two diretories.
>
> I am sure you can find programs that presume anything you want.  I have never
> seen one that does that. If I did find one, it would be easy to correct that
> misguided thinking.

"Those who are unwilling to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" applies.

I state as a fact that I have been called in -- *more*than*once* --  to attempt
to recover data that had been trashed as a result of what was eventually
determined to be that specific issue.

As for your claim of it being 'easy to correct that misguided thinking' -- that
is an outright lie, when one is dealing with COTS software for which one does
not have the source-code.  There is also the 'minor' matter of establishing
that 'that' -was- the cause of the problems.