Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 1995 09:58:53 -0700
From:      supervisor@alb.asctmd.com
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:    ALPHA netipx Code Available

I have uploaded my ALPHA netipx stuff to the incomming directory on
freefall.cdrom.com. The file is "/incomming/netipx.tar.gz". Attached below
is the README file which is included in the kit. A copy of this file is also
available via anonymous ftp to  ftp.asctmd.com--the ppp link here is very
slow...

If you wish to test this code and contribute patches, I will happily accept
these and attempt to reintegrate them into my kit. I do not currently have
the time spend on major support or enhancements.

The strange "crashing" in the previous code was due to improper calls to
ipx_output() when an echo request was received. I believe this has
been corrected.

/sbin/ifconfig ed1 ipx 0xaabbccdd # configure IPX network aabbccdd

----------
The purpose of this kit is to add rudimentary support for the IPX protocol
(EtherNet_II frame type 0x8137) to the 4.4BSD Lite source tree. Please
realize that it is currently ALPHA and your mileage is expected to vary. I
do not currently have the time to support this package the way I would
like to; but, I am making it available in the hopes that someone else might.

Mike Mitchell

--- Projects for the Daring ---

1. Perform alot more testing. I do not know if the spx code works.
However,  it does compile without complaints.

2. Create and enhance more applications:
   IPXrouted	keep ipx routing information up to date, implement correctly
   libc/net/gethostbyht.c
   libc/net/getnetbyht.c
		enhance routines with proto family field to support AF_IPX
   ipxping	similar to ip ping but for a remote ipx host
   samba	fix samba to work on AF_IPX to support Windows for
Workgroups
		using the NetBIOS transport over SPX

3. The big pie in the sky would be to have a complete suite of working
   NetWare client utilities. Wouldn't you like to see a 'NFS like' file
   system attached to a NetWare server? Or maybe, emulation of a
NetWare
   server so that clients may connect?

--- Installation Notes ---

1. Install the FreeBSD 2.0 source tree. All patches have been made
   relative to a FreeBSD 2.0 Release source tree. The source tree
   available to me comes on the InfoMagic BSDisc.

2. Untar the netipx kit from the root directory. All of the pathnames are
   relative to the root directory. This will install new files in the
   source tree. If you wish to extract this kit in another directory,
   be sure to install all of the new files manually.

3. Apply the patches. It is not recommended that you apply these
patches
   on a production environment.

   patch -p0 < PATCHES

4. Include the following lines in your kernel configuration file after
   application of the netipx kit.

   options	IPX			#IPX Networking Support
   options	IPXIP			#IPX over IP Networking Support

5. Rebuild your kernel and reboot.

   cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
   config GENERIC			# GENERIC = your config file
   cd /usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC	# GENERIC = your config file
   make depend; make
   cp /kernel /kernel.old
   cp kernel /kernel
   shutdown -r now

6. Rebuild and install: libc, ifconfig, netstat

   cd /usr/src/lib/libc; make; make install
   cd /usr/src/sbin/ifconfig; make; make install
   cd /usr/src/usr.bin/netstat; make; make install
   cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted; make; make install

7. Test, Test, Test

--- New Files ---

The following list of files are not present in the FreeBSD 2.0 Release
source tree:

/usr/include/netipx/ipx.h
/usr/include/netipx/ipx_error.h
/usr/include/netipx/ipx_if.h
/usr/include/netipx/ipx_pcb.h
/usr/include/netipx/ipx_var.h
/usr/include/netipx/spx.h
/usr/include/netipx/spx_debug.h
/usr/include/netipx/spx_timer.h
/usr/include/netipx/spx_var.h
/usr/src/lib/libc/net/ipx.3
/usr/src/lib/libc/net/ipx_addr.c
/usr/src/lib/libc/net/ipx_ntoa.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/MAKE.PATCHES
/usr/src/sys/netipx/MANIFEST
/usr/src/sys/netipx/MANIFEST.DIFFS
/usr/src/sys/netipx/PATCHES
/usr/src/sys/netipx/README
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx.h
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_cksum.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_error.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_error.h
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_if.h
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_input.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_ip.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_outputfl.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_pcb.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_pcb.h
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_proto.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_usrreq.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/ipx_var.h
/usr/src/sys/netipx/spx.h
/usr/src/sys/netipx/spx_debug.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/spx_debug.h
/usr/src/sys/netipx/spx_timer.h
/usr/src/sys/netipx/spx_usrreq.c
/usr/src/sys/netipx/spx_var.h
/usr/src/usr.bin/netstat/ipx.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/IPXrouted.8
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/Makefile
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/af.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/af.h
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/defs.h
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/if.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/input.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/interface.h
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/main.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/output.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/protocol.h
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/startup.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/table.h
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/tables.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/timer.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/tools/query.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/trace.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/IPXrouted/trace.h

--- PATCHED FILES ---

The following list of files are present in the FreeBSD 2.0 Release source
tree and require modification:

/usr/include/net/netisr.h
/usr/include/net/route.h
/usr/include/netiso/iso_errno.h