Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2012 01:13:08 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10G forwarding performance @Intel

On 07/03/2012 23:29, Alexander V. Chernikov wrote:

> In this particular setup - 1500. You're probably meaning type of mbufs
> which are allocated by ixgbe driver?

1500 for both?

And no, I'm not thinking of the mbufs directly, although that may be a
side effect. I've seen cases on FreeBSD with em where setting the MTU to
9000 had unexpected (albeit pleasant) side effects on throughput vs.
system load. Since it was working better I didn't take the time to find
out why. However since you're obviously interested in finding out the
nitty-gritty details (and thank you for that) you might want to give it
a look, and a few test runs.

hth,

Doug