Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 06:20:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XXXminpys question

> >I remember that David Greenman once said that the main reason for the
> >existing minphys was the limitation of the SCSI adapters.
>
>    Right, it has to do with the number of scatter-gather entries that the
> controller can have per-DMA.

Given that the memory isn't locked down yet and may not be mapped
to physical memory, and that the maximum size of the scatter-gather
list is dependent on the fragmentation of the physical memory, this
problem is a bit thornier than at first glance.

Is there a problem with considering minphys to be a guarantee to
do the I/O so that a side effect of minphys is to lock down the
pages and build the scatter-gather list using some published entry
points?  Then you can do system minphys to limit to the system max,
driver minphys which pokes in its resources, locks down, and builds
the scatter-gather and other parts of the pending transaction, then
continue on through the physio lockdown which will either trivially
succeed or figure out that it was already done, and finally do the
I/O.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936