Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2006 23:22:20 -0200
From:      Sergio Lenzi <enigma@k1.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   snd_hda driver for 6.1 now working

Hello all

after trying to set up the sound on the 6.1 RELEASE  on a acer aspire
3100
notebook, I realise that the driver for the sound chip was the HDA
(high definition audio)

That notebook use a realtek version of the sound ship.

The code I get in the internet does not compile in the 6.1-RELEASE
it complains about some
missing entry points in the sound.ko module (that exists in the -current
kernel).

I do not want to to use the CURRENT so I fixed the code to work with the
6.1-RELEASE..    the main problem was the distorted sound it produces
The problem was that the realtek chip was not able to make dma
larger than 4096 bytes long   a small fix in the hdac.c code did the
trick....

Just get the file http://www.k1.com.br/downloads/snd_hda.tar.gz
unpack it and do o make;make install
inside the directory created   (you must have the kernel sources
installed)....

EnJoy....

Sergio