Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:30:47 +0900
From:      Cyril Niklaus <cynik@gmx.co.uk>
To:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install probs with sony vaio R505-JSK

On Vendredi, juin 7, 2002, at 01:56 , Bill Swingle wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 02:38:16AM -0700, Jim Mock wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 at 23:00:54 -0700, Bill Swingle wrote:
>
>>> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c
>>>
>>> and then freezes.
>>>
>>> The machine has some bizarre linux distro on it right now and needless
>>> to say I'm not about to use that. :)
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> You need to set the following before boot:
>>
>>     hw.pcic.intr_path="1"
>>     hw.pcic.irq="0"
>>
>> After that it should actually boot.  If it doesn't, you know how to
>> reach me :-)
>
> That was the fix I was looking for. Thanks! Now to figure out why I can
> boot from the cdrom but after booting, FreeBSD doesnt see it...

Could you explain how one does this before boot? I'd like to know
because that's part of what i need to do to get my network up, and that
would be wonderful not to have to use floppies to copy the bin files
(minimum install) in order to be able to do a
from-dos-partition-install... FreeBSD at install does not recognize the
cdrom I have, nor the ethernet card, nor the floppy drive (but boots
fine from it). And having bought a new HD, it was a fun moment to
reinstall. (I still have to find a way to install windows but that OT).
Cyril