Date:      Thu, 07 May 2009 20:13:46 -0700
From:      Benjamin Lee <ben@b1c1l1.com>
To:        Paul Stewart <paul@paulstewart.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.2 Installation Problem - Large Disk

--------------enig003BF6EEDC99A9738E6F6A77

On 05/07/2009 07:28 PM, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Hi there..
>=20
> =20
>=20
> I hope this is the correct mailing list to ask this question.
>=20
> =20
>=20
> I have a Dell Poweredge R710 server (brand new)... 7.2-RELEASE installs=
 fine
> but I'm having a problem getting any large partitions over approximatel=
> 500GB.  During the installation it allows me to create 4.5TB partition =
but
> after rebooting it's only really 500GB +/-
>=20
> =20
>=20
> Has anyone successfully installed into a disk this large?  This is a RA=
ID5
> array using the Dell Perc 6/I controller
>=20
> =20
>=20
> I have installed now 6+ times with smaller partitions (100GB even) and =
run
> into problems . hoping someone could share how they got large disk supp=
ort
> working..  I'd be happy with several 1TB partitions but when I configur=
e it
> this way and exceed 4 partitions it tells me disk error creating
> partitions..

Unfortunately, MBR and BSD disklabel use 32 bit values, so they are
limited to 2TB.  GPT uses 64 bit values, but I don't believe that
FreeBSD fully supports it.  You can see the Big Disk project page [1]
for more information.

As a workaround, you may wish redo your RAID configuration so that you
have multiple logical volumes (e.g. 2T, 2T, 0.5T).

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/projects/bigdisk/index.html

--=20
Benjamin Lee
http://www.b1c1l1.com/