Date:      Mon, 25 May 2009 23:19:11 +0200
From:      Philipp Wuensche <cryx-freebsd@h3q.com>
To:        Lorenzo Perone <lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net>
Subject:   Re: ZFS boot on zfs mirror

Lorenzo Perone wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
> Having licked blood now, and read the news from Kip Macy about
>
>> -  zfs boot for all types now works
>

> I was wondering if anyone has some updated tutorial on how to achieve a
> zfs-only bootable FreeBSD with a mirrored zpool.

My own howto and script to do the stuff automated:
http://outpost.h3q.com/patches/manageBE/create-FreeBSD-ZFS-bootfs.txt

But beware, it is meant to use with
http://anonsvn.h3q.com/projects/freebsd-patches/wiki/manageBE
afterwards. But the steps are the same.

> Searching around I found this tutorial on how to set up a ZFS bootable
> system, which is mostly straightforward:
>
> http://blogs.freebsdish.org/lulf/2008/12/16/setting-up-a-zfs-only-system/
>
> However it leaves a few questions open... How am I supposed to make a
> zfs mirror out of it? Suppose I have ad4 and ad6, should I repeat the
> exact same gpart-steps for both ad4 and ad6, and then make a zpool
> create data mirror ad4p3 ad6p3?

Exactly.

> How about swap? I suppose it will be on
> one of the disks?

I keep swap in a seperate partition. You could either use two swap
partition, each on one disk or use gmirror to mirror a single swap
partition to be safe from disk crash.

> And what if I start with one disk and add the second
> one later with zpool attach?

This will work. Just do the same gpart commands on the second disk and
use zpool attach.

greetings,
philipp