Date:      30 Jun 99 07:53:27 PDT
From:      Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Subject:   Re: [Re: [Re: [FreeBSD Man Pages]]]

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> wrote:
> =

> On 30-Jun-99 Jesus Monroy wrote:
> > Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au> wrote:

g =

> >> =

> >> For one definition of "incorrect". What you showed does not detract
> >> from the point that Konrad is making.
> >> =

> >> =

> >     Wait a minute. Where is this arrogant attitude coming from!
> >     The results plainly should wrong pages index, bad references
> >     and missing descriptions.
> >   =

> >     Please explain your idea (or definition of "correct").
> >     (Please note I know where all the IEEE papers are on
> >      correct. So think this through before you popoff.)
> =

> Relatively speaking they are a heck of a lot better than manpagse for
>  some
> commercial Unices.  They may not be perfect, but they're a heck of a lo=
> closer.. and that was the original poster's point, which your survey ha=
> nothing to do with.
> =

    Well, as long as we are going to insert the foot, let's do
    it right. Thank you for following along folks in the game
    of "who's foot will be inserted first?"

    Let's start by quote the original contestant:
    "To my mind *one* of the points where FreeBSD is really good are
    the man pages. "

    The implicatation is that there are many good things about
    FreeBSD. (hmm. good so far). Second implication, so maybe
    we'll strech this a bit and say "of the 100 great things
    about FreeBSD, the man pages is one". (hmm, still sounds
    good.)

    Now from my end, 15% of the pages have been show to be incorrect.
    (hmm...) let us say error decrement between here and the top.
    Let's say this is at the bottom of the list, thereby
    making it the least correct. (hmm...)

    Conclusion: The weather man is better at predicting the
    the weather on 24 hour basis than the man pages are.
    Wow that sounds great now... doesn't it!

    Someone had me my umbrella, weatherman predicts brown rain
    in large clumpy balls. :^> (hammer away peabrain)

---
"I'd rather pay for my freedom than live in a bitmapped, =

pop-up-happy dungeon like NT."
http://www.performancecomputing.com/features/9809of1.shtml