Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:35:09 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        hoe-waa@hawaii.rr.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing cards in a reader

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 07:27:40PM -1000, hoe-waa@hawaii.rr.com wrote:
> Aloha Scott and thanks for staying awake and responding.
>
> I thought I had tried all of that camcontrol stuff
> before I posted but I am getting old so I tried what
> you suggested. Alas, it did not seem to help. Here is
> the output of the attempt:

Hi Robert,

Weird - that's what works for me, so I don't know how much more help I can
offer, but here are a few suggestions that might help us figure out what's
going on...

> Boot with 128MB card installed.
>
> hp# ls -l /dev/da*
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  20 Jun 26 18:50 /dev/da0
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  21 Jun 26 18:50 /dev/da1
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  22 Jun 26 18:50 /dev/da2
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  24 Jun 26 18:50 /dev/da2s1
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  23 Jun 26 18:50 /dev/da3

Ah... you're running FreeBSD 5 - it was pretty late when I wrote that first
reply, so I didn't notice that immediately.  Unlike FreeBSD 4, where stuff
in /dev/ had to be created manually, FreeBSD 5 uses devfs to create the
device nodes as needed, when devices come and go.  I haven't actually used
my card reader on 5 yet, so I could be missing something obvious here...

> Remove 128MB card and insert 8MB card
>
> hp# camcontrol rescan 0:0:2
> Re-scan of 0:0:2 was successful

What does 'fdisk da2' give you at this point?
Do you get anything in /var/log/messages when you insert the new card?

It might be worth doing a 'camcontrol start' after the rescan, just in
case, but I don't really think that will make any difference.

Since you're running FreeBSD 5, it might be worth re-porting your question
to the freebsd-current mailing list, to see if anyone there can shed some
light on this.

Sorry I can't be more help,

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon