Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:59:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tms2@mail.ptd.net (Thomas M. Sommers)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun's web site

> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > Management has a fiduciary duty to the shareholders.  If they give
> > > away their source, and some other company makes a killing with it,
> > > management has breached that duty.
> >
> > Through malfeasance, by ignoring the market for the code themselves.
>
> Not necessarily malfeasance.  They could simply be in error about the
> potential profit to be had from the source.

Malfeasance := wrongdoing or misconduct

Ignorance is no excuse: misconduct is misconduct.  Officers of
corporations are being more and more frequently sued (and losing)
as a result of blatantly bad decisions on their part due to a
misrepresentation of their competence to make fiduciary decisions.

> > > But if they use the GPL, it is very unlikely that any other
> > > company will make that killing, and management will be in the clear.
> >
> > No.  They will still be guilty of malfeasance.  But they will also
> > be guilty of criminal fraud, in that they covered up their malfeasance.
>
> Fraud means obtaining title to property by false pretences; it has
> nothing to do with the hypothetical under discussion.  Cover up implies
> something done after an act to hide it; that also has nothing to do with
> the hypothetical.

Fraud := intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another
	 to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right

I think the "legal right" part of this applies.  But if not, the
second definition of the word certainly does:

Fraud := an act of deceiving or misrepresenting

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.