Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:43:47 -0400
From:      "Miroslav Pendev" <shadow@CPE0004761ac738-CM00109515bc65.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com>
To:        "adrian kok" <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: backup tapes

> Hello all

Hi Adrian,

> I want to use DSS tape for backup

Nothing's easy than that... ;-)

> 1/ What is the command for me to format the tape?

# this will delete the whole tape BUT may take few hours (for DDS3 ~ 3 hours)!!!
mt erase

#for 'fast' delete - type as root (of course)
mt erase 0

try: man mt - for other usefull commands

> 2/ If the tape was used for backup window file before,
> can I use it for backup freebsd?

Just erase the tape first, and you are ready for Rock'N'Roll ;-)

tips: for backup of your 'home' dir just type:

tar cv /home

for restore - cd to your restore folder, first, and type

tar xv

try: man tar for more good options

> Thank you for your help

It was pleasure for me...