Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:18:44 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB device activity when not mounted

On Thursday 14 June 2012 15:45:46 Polytropon wrote:

> However, as you said
> it might be possible that _inside_ the USB stick there is
> still an action that needs to be performed and therefore
> requires power.

That's a possibility.

> But I doubt this takes several seconds to
> complete...

I've just run a test here. The umount command returns almost instantaneously
and the light, which is normally only lit while data is flowing,  flickers
for about 2 seconds after the umount command. But further testing showed that
it flickers for 2 seconds after reading  single byte file so perhaps the
blinkenlight is configured with a minimum activation time.

Being cautious however, I always wait a few seconds before removing any USB
stick from any computer.

--
Mike Clarke