Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:17:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@dorm-36314.rh.uh.edu>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        gvb@tns.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compat_2_2

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> > Ok, so my upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.1 upgraded the crypt() stuff, but now,
> > because of this upgrade, none of my old master.passwd files work.. and on
> > systems with thousands of users I cant sit here and change every users
> > password.. there has got to be a way to make it backwards compatible, or
> > convert old to new.. any ideas?
> >
> > GVB

>  You shouldn't be having these problems... I've used the same password
> file basically since 386BSD.
>
>  If you have password entries that look like $1$xxxx - then you were using
> MD5 crypt and not DES script.
>
>  I'm guessing you were using one or the other before and have now
> (accidently) changed.
>
>  You should have no problems using the previous entries.
>
>  The DES stuff even works across other systems; I used to cut-and-paste
> passwords from HP and Sun boxes into /etc/master.passwd with no problem.
>
>  Anyway, although there isn't much specific help in this note - I hope
> it is encouraging... I'm confident that you won't have to change all of
> your entries.
According to some literature I have read, the FreeBSD crypt is a different
format (perhaps this is just from Linux) with the seed in positions four
and five.  The old passwords from the application to which I have been
referring were in the correct form ($1$) but the old a.out executable
began reading passwords expecting the seed in positions 1 and 2.
Recompiling that app to elf solved that problem, and the old passwords
started working again.  What I am trying to say from all this is that
perhaps, if the upgrade was not performed correctly, something could be
causing login to look for the seed in positions 1 and 2 as opposed to 4
and 5.

Jonathan Fosburgh
Geotechnician
Snyder Oil Corporation