Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:30:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      James Holtom <jholtom@netforce.net>
To:        Josh Tiefenbach <josh@zipperup.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq RAID controllers and mirrored boot disks

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Josh Tiefenbach wrote:

> I've trolled the archives, and while I've found positive reports of people
> using the ida driver, I havent found anything definative on my question:
>
> Is there anyone who has installed, booted, and successfully used FreeBSD on a
> Compaq Proliant using Compaq's SMART RAID controllers in an environment in
> which the boot drives were mirrored?

Yes.

Compaq Proliant 1600 (IIRC) 5* 4.3GB discs.

2* 4.3 as RAID 1, as a single logical drive -- containing /, swap, /usr
3* 4.3 as RAID 5, as a single logical drive -- containing /var

That was a test I was conducting using 3.2stable around end of July. Sadly
I lost the system to another part of the team, for aNoTher OS, but as it
had proved reliable (20days uptime, before I had to conclude my test) I
have been given a nice shiny new one to play^w work with as soon as I find
a moment...

Cheers,

James

Speaking personally, not for my employers.