Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 07:23:44 -0700
From:      Sam Zamarripa <samz@oz.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bridging and Stable

I'm using 3-2 Stable..sources cvsup'd as of 3 days ago

This morning I tried to use bridging on freebsd. Because I have 2 real IP's
from my ISP and bridging would solve some of the issues I have with using
STATIC-NAT like I have been using.

Got my new Kernel compiled with options BRIDGE and DUMMYNET

And for the short period I got it to work..it worked exactly like i wanted
it to. But this is a problem. First..half the time..it wouldn't work at
all. After boot up..i would do the SYSCTL variables..the log would say
everything is a go..but my 2nd box was just dead. couldn't ping or
anything. The route was never getting set. But when it would
work...everything would go beautifully for about 10 minutes..then for no
apparent reason with no log errors, bridging would just stop. I no longer
could ping or get anywhere.

Is bridging still extremely buggy? Both my NIC's in the freebsd box are
"XL" drivers and the man page on bridge says its reported. Anybody have any
clue what might be going on? Any help is appreciated.

Sam