Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 11:25:45 +0100
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't get 3c509 to work with 4.0-RELEASE

I have installed 4.0-RELEASE on an old 486 ISA/VLB machine. I've put in a
3c509 ethernet card, but I simply cannot get it to be recognised. dmesg does
not report anything do do with 'ep' at all, and 'ifconfig -a' doesn't list
it.

I know that the GENERIC kernel has ep support in it - not only is it listed
in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC, but I can do
# strings /kernel | grep -i 3c509

I have checked the settings of the card using 3c5x9cfg.exe (in the same
machine, booting it into DOS). It was originally set to 240H/IRQ10; I have
changed that to 300H/IRQ11. No difference. I have removed all other cards
from the system, leaving just three in total (Promise EIDE/VLB card, ET4000
VLB video card, and the 3c509). No difference. Incidentally, this 3c509 does
not have a PnP mode. The full settings as reported by 3c5x9cfg are attached
below, and 'pnpinfo' doesn't find it, either.

I have compiled a new kernel with all ISA NICs apart from ep and ex[*]
disabled, and all ISA SCSI devices apart from bt disabled. Still no joy.

As far as I can see, dev/ep/if_ep* in 4.0-STABLE are the same as those on my
system. I suppose I could always try CURRENT, but there don't seem to be any
changes in the card detection code.

Anybody else had this problem? Am I being a bozo? Please cc: me directly on
any reply.

Thanks,

Brian Candler.

[*] There is a bug in the ex driver, which I have reported. Since that card
didn't work properly, this is why I'm trying the 3c509. This 3c509 was taken
out of a Linux box where it has been working flawlessly for over a year.

--------
NIC type:				TP