Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2012 15:15:26 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ermal_Lu=E7i?= <eri@freebsd.org>
To:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "Clement Hermann \(nodens\)" <nodens2099@gmail.com>, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: igb and ALTQ in 9.1-rc3

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>wrote:

> [...]

During implementation of if_transmit altq was not considered at all.
The default if_transmit provides some compatibility but that is void since
altq has not been converted to call if_transmit after processing the mbuf.

ALTQ can be adapted quite easily to if_transmit model it just wasn't done
at the time.
With if_transmit model it can even be modularized and not be a compile
kernel option since the queue of the iface is abstracted now.

I have always wanted to do a diff but have not yet got to it.
The change is quite simple just provide an altq_transmit default method and
just hook into if_transmit model on the fly.
You surely need to handle some iface events and enable altq based on
request but its is not a hard to implement.

I will always have this in my TODO but not sure when i can get to it.

--
Ermal