Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2011 20:47:28 +0700
From:      Gua Chung Lim <gua.chunglim@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11 <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FBSD 8.2R can't startx

Hi All,

I have been using FreeBSD since mid 2005.
``startx'' worked very well on my old machine.

Mid last year I bought a new machine, HP Pavilion p6276l Home PC.
I installed FBSD 8.1R, xorg and KDE shipped with DVD.
It could not startx. The GUI screen was still black.
And only a small square box appeared on the screen.
This square box moved responding to mouse movement.
I tried re-installing it several times, the problem still persisted.
I mostly code C without GUI so I have left it untouched since then.

Recently last week, I tried installing 8.2R, xorg-7.5 and KDE-4.5.5 from DVD.
(fresh installation) The same problem persists in this version.
Only a small square box appears on black GUI screen.
I tried both KDE and GNOME, the results are the same.
So I think that the root cause should be xorg.
I cannot do any GUI stuffs but command line interface.
Anyone who has any clues or experieces this problem, please point me out.
Thank you in advance.

Here is my related configurations...

/etc/rc.conf
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

~/.xinitrc
exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
(I did not forget to chmod a+x ~/.xinitrc)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Monitor"
	#DisplaySize	  410   230	# mm
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "SAM"
	ModelName    "SME1920" # Auto detected and yes, it is correct.
	HorizSync    30.0 - 61.0
	VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
	Option	    "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "radeon" # Auto detected and yes, it is correct.
	VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc" # it is correct.
	BoardName   "RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]" # I only know it is HD 4600 series
	BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth 24
	...other depths here...
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes     "1360x768" # This mode follows one detected by Windows 7.
	EndSubSection
EndSection

--
Gua Chung Lim

Please help donate to Japan.
-- for earthquake, tsunami and nuclear radiation reliefs (2011)