Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 1997 00:07:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
To:        crtb@capecod.net, grog@lemis.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is man so slow?

>On Thu, Nov 06, 1997 at 10:38:02PM -0500, Chuck wrote:
	[ ... ]
>Could it be that you are missing the directories
>/usr/share/man/cat[1-9], or they are not writeable?  When a new

Sho nuff!  So I just created 'em, gave 'em to man.bin, and voila!

>version of the system is installed, the contents of these directories
>are removed, and the first time you access a man page, it needs to be
>formatted with nroff.  It then *tries* to save the formatted man page
>in the cat* hierarchy, but if it doesn't succeed, it won't complain,
>and it will reformat the man page every time.

>20 seconds is still *very* slow.

Sigh.  That's an Evergreen 586-133 upgrade, about 50% faster than the
486-33 it replaced, and about 10% of the speed of a 686L-P200+ in my
other PC :-)

>Greg

Thanks a lot.  Knowing which FM to R is the heart of the art.

        Chuck Bacon -- crtb@capecod.net
                ABHOR SECRECY -- DEFEND PRIVACY