Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:58:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Haney <dave@engg.ksu.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unexpected machine check

Hello,

I have an AlphaStation 200 4/233 running FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE, XFree86
version 3.3.6 with a Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 Pro 4MB PCI card for video,
and otherwise stock hardware. When I compile, then run XFree86_SVGA on it
and kill X from the console I started it on with ^C, the machine instantly
crashes with the following error:

unexpected machine check:

    mces = 0x1
    vector = 0x660
    param = 0xfffffc0000006000
    pc = 0x1200bac54
    ra = 0x1200bac24
    cuproc = 0xfffffe0004379d80
       pid = 1328, comm = XF86_SVGA

panic: machine check

syncing disks...
done
Uptime: 1d7h25m5s

* This problem did not occur when I was running FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT.
What's more, I have not changed any hardware configurations since then.

* Tried the machine and found the problems to be reproduceable with both
the GENERIC kernel, and any kernel I choose to build.

* I tried downloading and re-installing FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE twice, but to
no avail. This problem is perfectly reproduceable.

* The "pc =" and "ra =" "curproc =" and "pid =" parameters change between
crashes.

* While X is running, windows are not drawn properly. For example, xmms
will only come up as a large, black rectangle. TWM will not properly
draw menus.

* After swapping out the Stealth for a STB Velocity 3D, the problems
persisted, with the same symptoms.  This may not be a telling factor,
though, as the same chipset is used on both boards.

* As long as XWindows is not running, the machine seems perfectly stable.
I've compiled several kernels on it which seem to run fine.

* the SRM variable pci_parity is set to off.

* If I switch to the S3V server, then the machine will safely exit
XWindows, but if I switch between virtural consoles (while X is still
running), the machine will hard lock, and a few seconds later, the screen
turns blue, and says "CPU HALT CODE = 5" and reboots.

* While using the S3V server, windows seem to be drawn and re-drawn
properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave Haney