Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 18:17:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: schg flag on make world in -CURRENT

On Tue, 28 Nov 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > 1)	Your user name must be in group "wheel" (in the file /etc/group).
> > >
> > > 2)	Your pty must be marked "secure".
> >
> > Sheesh.  You don't need a "secure" pty in order to su(8) on it!
>
> No?
>
> You should.  OK.  "su" is broken.

	It is?  Then it must be broken on almost any implementation
of Unix I've ever looked at:

	BSDi, FreeBSD, SunOS, Solaris, AIX, SysV

	On all the machines that I setup, console is considered to be
"unsecure", even as far down as single-user mode reboot.  It doesn't
add much, but it forces someone to first know which accounts are in
group wheel (not hard if you already have an account on the system)
and then hack into one of hte account in gorup wheel, and then
hack into root itself.

	Now, what would be broken is if su didn't log failed attempts
to get into root, and from which account tried to su...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc