Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 2020 17:44:28 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minimal set of pkbase packages

On 11/04/2020 16:21, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> Can anyone help with a minimal set of packages to install and start a
> functional jail? By functional I mean one that allows to login as root
> with jexec jailname sh.
>
> Actually, is there any description available what each package is for?
> Files +MANIFEST and +COMPACT_MANIFEST don't seem to convey any
> description.

I just figured out myself. Mostly followed from
http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.com/Creating-jails-from-pkgbase-packages-tt6327893.html

Basically, on the host on which pkg-base is already installed and working:

Create /jail/test/etc (where jail/test is the jail's root)

scp worldstage/etc/master.password from the build directory, e.g.
/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/worldstage/etc/master.password, to
/jail/test/etc

Then install with

pkg -r /jail/test install FreeBSD-runtime

Runtime's postinstall will automatically use the master.password to
populate appropriate files. Then create jail.conf as usually. That
allows to start a minimal jail and jexec sh to it.

I wonder, why /etc/master.password isn't automatically included in any
of the base packages?

--GrzegorzJ