Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:12:07 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking ffs - speed enhancement?

In his e-mail Gary Palmer wrote:

> "Hr.Ladavac" wrote in message ID
> <199606100951.AA244850291@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>:
> > Portals are great.  Especially since I have a ClearCase clone that works
> > with symlinks, and which would benefit immensely from a working portal
> > interface.  Can you say MVFS?  I thought you could :)  There is no end of
> > things one can achieve with a working portalfs.
>
> May I ask what you feel is missing/broken from Portals? (I haven't
> read the paper, but I have worked on improving our portal FS already)

Well, all I've seen is what I've seen in the manpage and sources.  I did
not actually test it, but I think one needs the ability to add more than
/p/ip and /p/unix (whatever they are named.)  I'd like to use it as a
clone of Atria MVFS and ClearAudit.  Naturally, my portal daemon will have
to do that, somehow.

Since I did not test it, do the portals work, and from which OS version
onwards?

> > This leads to another point.  It seems to me that there will be some
> > co-op work on (new) filesystems under FreeBSD.  How about freebsd-fs
> > mailing list?
>
> There is one already I think :-)

Shall we move there, then?

/Marino