Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 19:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Cc:        dl@leo.org
Subject:   Re: cvsupd error?

In article <20010504222458.E98281@atrbg11.informatik.tu-muenchen.de>,
Daniel Lang  <dl@leo.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> John Polstra wrote on Fri, May 04, 2001 at 12:44:58PM -0700:
> [..]
> > Nope, the bad file is on the server, not on your machine.  I can
> > tell because it says "Server warning" at the beginning of the
> > message.  Please inform the maintainer of your master site about
> > this ASAP.
> I guess thats me. This path in the warning message looked
> too familiar :-/
> I also found the DISCLAIMER,v in the corresponding
> directory, deleted it, and started a manual update.
>
> I wonder how I could get the bad file.
> I update hourly from cvsup-master (with -s), but
> daily without (doing a 'hard' update).

Too bad you deleted the file -- it would have been interesting to
look at it.

I can tell you that I've helped people with this kind of problem a
good 2 dozen times over the past 5 years, and it has always turned out
to be the same thing.  Namely, there is either a block of 0 bytes or
a random block of some totally unrelated file splatted somewhere into
the victim file.  Furthermore, the block is always a multiple of 4K or
maybe 8K bytes, and it is always aligned to the same multiple.  That
kind of file corruption is a sure sign of hardware trouble, kernel
bugs, or a damaged filesystem.  I should mention I've seen a lot
less of this in the past year or two than I saw before.  That means
FreeBSD's getting better. :-)

I just remembered, there's one other kind of damage I've seen about
2-3 times.  That was a single byte in the file with a 1-bit error.
Hardware trouble for sure.

BTW, when you have to manually delete a file like this, you should
turn off "-s" until the next update has finished.  That option assumes
you're not messing around inside the repository.

> ... wait right now my cvsup reports this:
>
> [..]
>  Create src/lib/libc/rpc/DISCLAIMER,v
> [..]
>
> So I assume it in fact it must reside on cvsup-master.
> Could anyone confirm this ?

Yes, it's definitely on cvsup-master, and it looks valid.

John