Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 21:59:01 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        esl <lluisma@osi-technologies.com>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make world from 3.0 to 3.1-STABLE

Chris Costello wrote:

> > We have a mission-critical server that we would like to upgrade from 3.0
> > to 3.1-STABLE.
> >
> > I did cvsup to upgrade all sources and docs and I'm now ready to do make
> > world. I have done a similar upgrade from 3.1-RELEASE to 3.1-STABLE and
> > everything works. I noticed however that my 3.0 /etc/make.conf is quite
> > different from the one on 3.1. Should I replace the 3.0 make.conf with
> > 3.1 make.conf? Is there any other issues I need to be aware of? I have
> > all backups just in case and I wish won't need it.
>
>    Nope!  Just follow what was stated in the 'Staying stable ...'
> section and you should be just fine.  You don't need to replace
> make.conf.

That is *not* entirely true. I recommend "make upgrade". And I
*specially* recommend reading /usr/src/UPDATING.

One needs to install new bootblocks before rebooting a 3.1 kernel,
because it has gone elf and 3.0 bootblocks can't deal with it.
Userconfig information is being used, one has to use loader(8) to
read it. Some things in the kernel configuration file may have
changed (I'm not sure about 3.0R->3.1S). I seem to recall that not
updating /etc (mergemaster is your friend -- see ports) of a 3.0R
results in problems.

Also, the optimization flag needed in make.conf is -O. Not more, not
less. (If CFLAGS/COPTFLAGS lines are commented, you don't need to do
anything.)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"nothing better than the ability to perform cunning linguistics"