Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2012 00:59:27 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Filtering on IPSEC

On 11. Jan 2012, at 18:12 , Alex Dupre wrote:

> Hi All,
> I've setup my first IPSEC VPN beetween FreeBSD 8.2 and CheckPoint =
VPN-1. I've used a gif interface for the tunnel, setkey for security =
policies and racoon for ikev1. All is working fine, but I get a strange =
behavior: outgoing packets go via enc0, while incoming packets arrive in =
gif0. To be precise, setting to '3' all the net.enc.* sysctls and =
sending a ping via vpn, I see the echo request, the encapsulated echo =
request, the encapsulated echo reply on enc0 and the echo reply on gif0. =
Is it correct? I expected to see all 4 packets on enc0, and perhaps the =
2 clear packets also on gif0. The current behavior makes impossibile to =
use firewall stateful filtering.

Need more input.  A) why are using gif?  B) are you using transport =
mode?

> I have also another question (about NAT before IPSEC), but it's =
partially related to this first issue, so I'll wait for a clarification =
before exposing it.

NAT before IPSEC can be done with ipfw, not with pf, don't know about =
ipfilter.

--=20
   It does not matter how good you are. It matters what good you do!