Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:41:54 -0700
From:      Matthew Rochlin <rochlin@mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Oracle 8.0.5-Linux installation problems on FreeBSD 3.4

Many people had a lot of trouble getting Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux running on
Linux itself.   The consensus is that Oracle not only installs with fewer
glitches, but runs much more efficiently in its newer Linux incarnations
(8.1.6 the latest I think...supposed to be a much smoother install than
even 8.1.5)

You can download the newer version (and any other Oracle software you might
need) at no charge if you join (free) their developer website.
http://technet.oracle.com/software/

You can also go to the Oracle online store and ask for the CDs.  They will
mail them free of charge.
(Running Oracle for development has no license charge.  If you switch your
server over to production, Mr. Ellison would like his $5 - $20,000 per
processor.   I don't know if it's true, but someone told me if you're a
registered Oracle developer, you can get a webserver license at the $5k
price.  Otherwise, Oracle quoted me $20k).

A very useful page for setting up Oracle on Linux (specifically Redhat 6.2)
that walks you through every option in the Oracle setup:
http://acs-staging.arsdigita.com/doc/install-guide/oracle.html
(I used it to get Oracle running on Linux without a hitch).
If your installation issues aren't BSD specific, this webpage should do the
job.

You do need an Xserver running to install Oracle.  You don't need to do it
from the Console.  I installed it on my Linux box from an Xserver running
under windows.
You need Java, but I believe the Oracle installer installs whatever Java it
needs (Oracle loves Java and pretty much any Oracle installer you run (Sun,
Linux, Windows) will use the same Java interface.

PLEASE document whatever you do.   If you get Oracle running on FreeBSD I'd
love to know exactly what you did.  I'd probably even post it on a webpage
somewhere (God knows that old "installing 8.05" doc has got enough people
in a tangle.  M'self included.).
Luck!

Matthew Rochlin
708 Nowita Place