Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:16:10 +0100
From:      Gerrit Hannaert <gerrit.hannaert@cropdesign.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        Sven Peters <sp@lucky-tv.de>, AIC7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AW: Problem with 29160 and ADIC Tape Library

We have an OEM version of this library (IBM Ultrium 3583) which locked
up when unloading a tape too soon after it was inserted - some kernels
froze, others generated SCSI errors similar to this but continued
without tape access.
Unfortunately this was only one of many problems with this library and I
can't remember too many details. Our particular issue, as I recall, was
related to the fact that it was attached via a SAN gateway to a Qlogic
2300F, and was "solved" either by waiting longer before unloading (20s
was fine); switching to SCSI, or using an internal SAN gateway module. I
don't suppose this helps Sven a lot though ;-)

We now have the library attached to a 29160 which for us seems to work
flawlessly using 40Mhz/8-bit mode (we had problems with higher
settings). We will be upgrading our SAN gateway shortly.

- Gerrit

--
=={Gerrit Hannaert}==

   IT Department, CropDesign N.V.