Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:24:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jswarner@uswest.net (Joe Warner)
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just Imagine..

> I guess the main question is, would the BSD community benefit from big
> corporate backing?  If so or not, why?

Yes, but only by a hardware company.  A software company is a
competitor.  See the NT vs. VMS vs. Ultrix/DEC UNIX/TRU64 history.
In particular, note the extra cost associated with the SRM, which
was pretty much nothing more than protectionism of the NT and VMS
side of things, for internal political resons having nothing to
do with anything other than a supression of internal competition
("all the oars pulling in the same [wrong] direction").

IBM's "backing" of Linux at this point is mostly marketing, not
integration into core products, due to intellectual property
dillution fears.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---