Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 13:43:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@txdirect.net>
To:        "Question@FreeBSD.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   iij-ppp throughput re-visited

I asked a couple of weeks ago about 2.2-2.6kB/sec throughput with iij-ppp
and a 28.8 modem.  The consensus was that this is about right.  Well I've
been doing some poking since then and I don't believe it is.  I believe
we can get more out of it.  Here is my reasoning:

	oasis <---- 28.8 ----> Portmaster <---- txdirect.net ----> net

If I ftp to anywhere on the net I get the previously mentioned numbers,
however if I telnet into txdirect.net and ftp back to oasis I get 3.0kB/sec
even on comrpessed files and up close to 6kB/sec for plain text.

I've noticed that show ccp seems to indicate that I've got Predictor1 out
from oasis and not coming in.  Livingston says that they dont/havent/wont
do CCP/Predictor1.

PPP ON oasis>  show ccp
CCP [Stopped]
myproto = PRED1, hisproto = OUI
Input: 0 --> 0,  Output: 0 --> 0

Could someone with a fast link to the net help me confirm these numbers?
I've got ftp setup at oasis.txdirect.net and I'm up for the first 10
minutes of each hour.  (ntpdate, so it should be pretty accurate)

I've put three files in the pub directory:  1 text, 1 binary, 1 compressed.
could someone(s) get these and note the throughput?  I'd appreciate
getting confirmation that I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.

---
Rob Snow
rsnow@txdirect.net