Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 00:25:52 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        kspencer@smmc.qld.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: It won't probe extra com ports 3,4

On Thu, Jan 08, 1998 at 02:29:26PM +0000, kspencer@smmc.qld.edu.au wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to upgrade my system from scratch with an extra i/o board
> an a bigger drive installed so I have coms1-4. The techie has
> installed it OK and run test software and cmos recognises 3 & 4 the
> newies. Problem is ( and PS I have the old small drive working as a
> router box for my LAN beautifully so I know the hardware in general
> is OK with FBSD) now I am installing FBSD (CD install)  with the 2
> i/o boards (originally only one) and during install it doesn't seem
> to find the coms 3&4.
> I haven't got as far as a reboot on install completion yet but I
> would perhaps have thought FBSD might look for any hardware
> configured in the visual mode install thing? It finds a new netcard
> OK....why not the 2 extra coms? Thanks in advance...
> Signed confused!
> Keith Spencer
> Townsville Australia

Did you enable the devices in the kernel configuration file and
rebuild the kernel? I think they are disabled and commented in the
GENERIC kernel. Ensure you set the interrupts/irqs correctly.

# device  sio2  at isa? disable port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
# device  sio3  at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr
Remove to enable.

--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.