Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2011 07:49:37 +0400
From:      Sergey Kandaurov <pluknet@gmail.com>
To:        easwarrior <cgarrett@raytheonvtc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM x3650 raid controller hardware recommendation

On 15 June 2011 19:48, easwarrior <cgarrett@raytheonvtc.com> wrote:

> I have purchased a new x3650 to use as my firewall for my network. I will be
> installing pfSense. Unfortunately I did not pay attention when I ordered the
> machine and have come to realize that the RAID controller does not have any
> drivers for FreeBSD. Of course IBM states they do not support FreeBSD
> either. Are there any suggestions on a controller to purchase for this unit.
> It would have to be pci express and low profile and support SAS. I know I
> can do a software RAID but rather avoid that if possible.

HI.
Hmm.. x3650 (the first gen) is a no longer shipping model. May be you are
about x3650m2 or more likely m3?
Anyway, all three generations are known to have onboard RAID-controllers
supported in FreeBSD. In x3650 model that's ServeRAID-8k supported by
aac(4), In x3650 m2/m3 that's ServeRAID M5014/5015 (rarely MR10i in the
first m2 models) supported by mfi(4).

--
wbr,
pluknet