Date:      28 Dec 2001 13:06:30 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.5-PRERELEASE build failure with no uucp user

AFter my upgrade to 4.4-R, I followed the advice of some security
article and got rid of a few "unused" accounts I thought I'd never need,
"uucp" being one of them.  (I seem to recall that some OS recently
stopped shipping any UUCP software in standard config. ?)

When I upgraded to 4.5-PRERELEASE a couple of days ago, some make
stopped in /usr/src/etc while doing "make distrib-dirs" and/or "mtree
-deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtrree/BSD.root.dist-p" (?) with msg: "mtree: line
53: unknown user uucp".  (There are several other BSD.* files that need
"uucp" user/group too.)  I can provide better details if someone is
interested, but I doubt if anyone will be.  I'm sorry I don't rememeber
which major "make" step this occurred in, but I think it was in
single-user mode so it was either in "installworld" or "mergemaster".

The question: Should I file a "PR" on this in the hope that anyone would
want to be able to build the system without a "uucp" user, or should
"uucp" just be a required user (or do we call that "system"?) account.

If there are required users for building the OS, I'd write a PR on the
build proceedure to give requirements, if I had some confidence that
I knew what they were.  Anyone care about this?

                    Required to     Required to
User/Group          build OS        run OS

root/wheel          yes             yes
kmem/kmem           yes             yes
man/man             yes             yes (debatable?)
daemon/daemon       yes?            yes?
bin/bin             yes?            no?
uucp/uucp           yes             no
toor/toor           no              no
bind/bind           no              no