Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 2021 05:09:16 +1000
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
Subject:   Re: Changing daemon user, dir ownership and updating packages

On 26/04/2021 6:03 pm, Stefan Bethke wrote:
> But that still leaves pkg updating the ownership/mode of existing directories as a surprise on updating a package. I think the "right" thing here would be a kind of three-way merge between changes an updated package brings in vs. changes the user has made on their system.

Sometimes the right thing isn't easy ;)

There are some cases where I explicitly assign ownership and more
restrictive modes to installed ports.  Would "pkg add -I" prevent file
ownership/mode changes or just prevent the execution of installation
scripts... (hint for a flag to prevent file mode/ownership changes on
existing systems)

I suspect Gleb's paradigm of a separate file to explicitly control file
attributes (after upgrades) is reasonable, but this is problematic and
negates the value of a packaging system.