Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:46:14 -0000
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        dcs@newsguy.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: HEADS UP: new loader.rc stuff

Hmm, feeling of deja-vu here :-)

Why do we need three levels of config files? Can't we make do with two?
Configuration of the system is becoming more and more of a horrible mess of
spaghetti.

I think /boot/defaults/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf should be enough.
It's just confusing otherwise, if I change something with sysinstall I may,
or may not, cause an effect depending on whether I've twiddled the same knob
in loader.conf.local.

I see sysinstall as just an alternative user interface to vi or emacs for
editing options. Is there something awkward about the way sysinstall works
that requires it to have its own config file?

Paul.