Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 02:22:24 -0800
From:      "Nicole H."  <nicole@mediacity.com>
To:        Robert Watson  <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, Vincent Poy  <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        "[Mario1-]"  <mario1@primenet.com>, JbHunt  <johnnyu@accessus.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, Tomasz Dudziak  <loco@onyks.wszib.poznan.pl>
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

Does anyone know of a good way to detect people "sniffing" on the network? IE a program that will detect a
machine running in promiscuous mode?

 Thanks

Nicole

> On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Robert Watson wrote:
>
> =)> =)I'd be tempted to look in all the normal places -- sendmail, etc.  What
> =)> =)daemons were running on the machine?  Any web server processes?  Also, I'd
> =)> =)heavily suspect that he sniffed a password if no encrypted telnet/ssh is
> =)> =)in use..  Any use of NIS going on?  Also, .rhosts arrangements can be
> =)> =)extremely unhappy if we already know (s)he is messing with DNS entries.
> =)>
> =)> 	sendmail is running as well as apache httpd...  ftpd, telnetd, and
> =)> ircd.  No NIS.   ALl I know was he managed to changed everyone's .rhosts
> =)> file when it doesn't exist originally and the contents just had:
> =)> + +
> =)> in it.
> =)
> =)This guy sounds like either he has good tools, or good experience.  For
> =)safety's sake, I'd guess the latter.  All he needed was one sniffed
> =)password to get on the system, and then you may be stuck with known holes
> =)in application software.  Most of the security problems I've seen have
> =)started with a sniffed password, but this comes from dormitory experience
> =):).
>
> 	Yep, sniffing would work but can they actually sniff outside of
> the network?
>
> =)Your best hope at this point is to shut down the system, boot on a floppy
> =)with a CDROM mounted, and then do a strategic MD5 checksum of all binaries
> =)and check for changes.  If you're running STABLE, your best bet may be to
> =)sup down differences, but to reinstall the binaries necessary to support
> =)the cvsup stuff from CDROM, as well as system kernel and /bin, /sbin, etc.
> =)If he's made enough changes to zap syslog, netstat, login-stuff, I
> =)wouldn't trust any other tools on the system currently.
>
> 	Not even a rebuild of -current after cvs?
>

> Cheers,
> Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
> Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
> GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
> Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
> HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]

 nicole@mediacity.com      |\ __ /|   (`\   http://www.mediacity.com
  Nicole Harrington        | o_o  |__  ) )    Phone: 415-237-1464
                          //      \\          Pager: 415-301-2482
		    Systems Administrator
 *******
  * *****       What do you mean Spelling Errors?
   * * *                       My Modem is Error Correcting!
      *

CAUTION: I'm no doctor, I only tell computers what to do.
Nothing in this document should be construed as medical advice.
My opinions are subject to the availability of information.
I learn new things each day, and so may change my opinions.

    Courtesy is owed. Respect is earned. Love is given. --