Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 18:36:13 -0800
From:      "Jimi Thompson" <jimit@myrealbox.com>
To:        <bbrummer@solar.com.br>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Refusing Connections

Bernardo & Et. AL,

Thank you to those of you have generously offered me your assistance.  I
grew frustrated, gave up and formatted the drive and reinstalled with a
slightly newer version of FreeBSD, which seems to have solved the problem.
I was never able to determine the root cause of the issue.  I suspect that
it was something in the OS causing a proxy effect to port 8080.  I still
have no idea why this happened.  The only thing that was on this box is the
OS, Perl, OpenSSL, OpenSSH, and Apache.

I was able to determine from port scanning the box internally that the httpd
process was running, but not allowing any network connections.  I know that
my ISP is not the issue because I have a web interface on my mail servers
which operates initially on port 80 and that was not blocked.  The firewall
on the box was disabled.    The httpd.conf that I was using is now in use
running the current build.

For informational purposes, in case someone else should encounter this
issue, I will repost some things.

The netstat that I did looked like this:

netstat -an -finet -ptcp
> Active Internet connections (including servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
> tcp4       0      0  4.60.243.40.22         4.60.243.201.1277
> ESTABLISHED
> tcp4       0      0  *.8021                 *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp4       0      0  *.8080                 *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp4       0      0  *.587                  *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp4       0      0  *.25                   *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp4       0      0  4.60.243.40.22         *.*                    LISTEN

This was the ONLY thing in the error log.

[Sat Dec 21 23:48:19 2002] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down

> [Sat Dec 21 23:48:25 2002] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN)
> `web1' does NOT match server name!?
> [Sat Dec 21 23:48:28 2002] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN)
> `web1' does NOT match server name!?
> [Sat Dec 21 23:48:28 2002] [notice] Apache/2.0.43 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.43
> OpenSSL/0.9.6g configured -- resuming
> normal operations

Note that "top", etc. showed the httpd process running.  However, it
remained idle even when I was attempting to make a connection to the box.
Apparently the connection request wasn't making it through the TCP/IP stack
and reaching the httpd process.  Why this was happening,  I have no idea.
Maybe we were hacked???

Thanks,

Ms. Jimi Thompson

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed
by those who are dumber. - Plato