Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:41:05 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Todd Backman <todd@flyingcroc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd poll state

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 02:08:55PM -0700, Todd Backman wrote:

> I tried on -questions and didn't get any bites. Any ideas here?:
>
> (updated info: I increased my udp.recvspace via sysctl to overcome any
> possible overloads due to +250 servers spewing syslog data to it. That was
> not the problem and the poll state continues to occur.
>
> One thing I noticed is that when syslogd is in the "poll" state the
> following is listed in the output of sockstat:
>
> machinename# sockstat
>
> root     syslogd     83    4 udp4   *.514                 *.*
> root     syslogd     83    6 udp4   x.x.x.x.271		  x.x.x.x.53
> 				    ^^^^^^^		  ^^^^^^^
> 				    machine IP		  nameserver IP
>
> I am wondering why syslogd would be attempting to do any type of lookups?

Probably has something to do with this,

     -a allowed_peer
             Allow allowed_peer to log to this syslogd using UDP datagrams.
             Multiple -a options may be specified.

             Allowed_peer can be any of the following:
             .
             .
             .
             domainname[:service]        Accept datagrams where the reverse
                                         address lookup yields domainname for
                                         the sender address.  The meaning of
                                         service is as explained above.

Are you using the -a option?