Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:33:03 -0500
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journaling UFS and LFS

On 30 October 1999 at 18:51, Don <don@calis.blacksun.org> wrote:
[snip]
> Having a journaled file system has another benefit and that is market
> recognition. The corporate world will be far more likely to embrace
> FreeBSD if it has a journaled file system than if it has softupdates.

Huh?  Have you actually heard anyone say, ``Well, we were going to use
FreeBSD, but darned if we found out at the last minute that it doesn't
have a journaled file system.  We decided to use KY Brand UNIX
instead.''

I think ``far more likely'' is a stretch.

> While I think this is a silly reason, it will make a difference. Trying to
> explain to a corporate IT manager that softupdates "is as good as or
> better than a journaled file system" wont fly.

Most corporate IT managers wouldn't know a filesystem if they were
bitten by one.
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org