Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:11:39 -0600
From:      "Ryan Thompson [FreeBSD]" <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Banshee &  XFree 3.3.5

Ben,

Be sure that you've selected the correct card, chipset and onboard ram
in the XF86Conf.

As well, make sure that you very carefully check the refresh rates
supported by your monitor (as your monitor is a 17", it will likely
support higher refresh rates than most 15" monitors), and be sure that
you don't exceed the spec. for each resolution.  (Daytek manuals are
generally pretty good at outlining the spec, but if you didn't get a
manual, you might have to look for specs online).

Your monitor is "shutting off" due to a built in safety feature.  More
than likely, your video card attempted to put the monitor in a refresh
rate that the monitor could not support at the specified resolution.
(This happens to me when I exceed about 120Hz at 1280x1024 :-)

To be safe, when you select a monitor profile in the XF86 config, pick a
"lower-end" SVGA monitor first (1024x768@70Hz should be safe'n'solid for
your monitor) to ensure compatibility.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan