Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:17:02 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't connect to DNS servers -- Firewall prob?

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 08:55:55AM +0000, C KH wrote:
> >What you want is the "defaultrouter" -- That tells the system where
> >packets should be directed that aren't for the local LAN. (IE: anything
> >not in 192.168.x.x)
> >
> >in rc.conf, add:
> >defaultrouter="0.0.0.0"
> >
> >change 0.0.0.0 to point to the SMC Router's IP (It's acting as a "gateway"
> >for your network, if you check the setup of your other systems you'll
> >probably find that their default routes/gateway are pointing to this
> >router.
>

> I added that link to /etc/rc.conf.  Is there a way to reload this file
> without rebooting?

Just run:

    route add default 12.34.56.78

obviously substituting the Router's IP...

There isn't any general way of applying changes in /etc/rc.conf to a
running system.  You either have to work out what the commands are
that the rc.conf variables affect and run them by hand, or reboot.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow