Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:44:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        rutz@dab.iit.uni-miskolc.hu (Antal Rutz)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: watching logins

Antal Rutz wrote:

> We have 12 boxes and our administrator wants to know about the user
> logins:
> Who when on which machine logged in. Is it possible to keep the
> information about all logins in a central place?

	use syslog to send all the logging to a single host.
	syslog will use UDP to send the log messages, so some
	might get lost if your loghost gets so heavily loaded that
	it starts dropping packets....dont let users log into
	the loghost.

	from the syslog.cong man page:

	o   A hostname (preceded by an at (``@'') sign).  Selected messages are
            forwarded to the syslogd program on the named host.

jmb