Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:16:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW troubles on 3.4-R

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 adric@mindspring.com wrote:

>  I'm having some trouble getting rc.firewall (et al) to play nice.
>  Here's the last few lines of dmesg:

Can you execute your firewall script from the command
prompt?  su to root and then try ./rc.firewall.  It should
execute just like it did before the upgrade.

>  changing root device to wd0s1a
>  IP packet filtering initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding disabled, logging disabled
>  ip_fw_ctl: invalid command

What the heck is ip_fw_ctl?  I use ipfw on my machine.  Has
your rc.firewall script become corrupted?

You should be able to enter some manual commands from your
firewall script to verify that your system is forwarding
packets and filtering properly.

If you enter "ipfw -F; ipfw add pass any from any via fxp0"
or whatever your network card is, your network should open
up and act ok.  This would indicate you have a syntax error
in your script.

 Gene Harris