Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 20:04:12 +0100
From:      John <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow booting with 2.2.7 on new 5.1gb IDE disk

In article <3.0.6.32.19981014092050.00911100@pop.pluris.com>, Robert
Wright <robert@pluris.com> writes
>I just installed a 5.1gb E IDE hard disk in my system. Then did a fresh
>install of 2.2.7. The install went fine. However when the system boots it
>takes *forever* to read the bootstrap files and the kernel.

It takes a comparative age to see my 3GB partition on my laptop. This is
on a P100. It pauses a good 10 seconds or so when booting up. What do
you define as an age (how many seconds?)?

>I checked the faqs and found two things that might apply:
>
>- There are disk geometry issues I need to look into
>- The root partition  must be less in the first 504mb.
>
>When I labelled the disk I made root 150mb and made it the first partition
>so I think the second one shouldn't be a problem.
>
>Two other things concern me:
>
>- This is an old PC with an IDE not E IDE controller while the disk is E
>IDE. Salesman said this shouldn't be an issue. (-:

IDE slower than eide - this will contribute to the problem you're
seeing. I think he meant that eide is backwards compatible with ide.

You can pick up multi i/o controller cards quite cheaply if you want the
benefits of eide. (though I'm no ide expert - I have done this and seen
a noticeable improvement on the 486 machine)

>- The BIOS on this system is six years old. I think it suffers from the old
>504mb limit issue. Are there any solutions to this if it is a problem?

On my 486sx25 with 1.6gb drive I had translation software from Maxtor
(EZ-Drive, I think it was called). It became visible when the hd
controller woke up, then booted to Linux. This was with a phoenix bios.
I later found this software wasn't required when I downloaded the latest
bios - I 'user defined' the HD.

However, you would be better IMOHO getting a faster/more modern m/b and
cpu

--
John