Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 11:52:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Barry A. Boes" <bab@foxtrot.boesusa.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   STB tuner problems

Hi, I have an STB bt848 card and am having some tuning problems,
and I'd like to determine whether they're problems specific to
my card, to STB cards in general, or to all TV tuner cards.

 Basically, I receive 6 channels via airwaves.  Of those channels,
the STB card works great with 7,24,36,42.  But with channels 18 and
54 (which come in a little fuzzy on my TV but have never caused problems
for any of my TV's or sensitive VCR's) the card tunes to the frequency
great but then appears to "lose tuning" over the course of about 0.5-1
second.

  I have tried the following things to fix the problem -

1) enable and disable AFC -- works the same both ways.

2) twiddle with the tuner ic's settings (I don't have docs on the TEMIC
so I couldn't try everyting).  But I did try changing from slow to
fast tuning (no difference).  I also tried setting RSA to 0 but then
the card wouldn't tune at all, maybe RSA doesn't do the same thing
as the phillips part I had the datasheet for?

And finally, I tried making the user program re-request tuning anywhere
 from once/second to several times/second.  This didn't work at all, to
 get the channel to come back I always had to tune to another station and
 then tune back, which would get me a signal that started out OK and
 deteriorated to fuzz or lost H or V sync over about 1 second.

  Does anyone know whether this is common to all tuner cards, the STB card,
or just my particular card?

  I'm also having an occasional problem with system hangs.  When running
fxtv sometimes the computer hands and will only respond to pressing the
reset button.  I'm not certain, but it appears to happen whenever I'm
moving the cursor through the fxtv video screen.

My relevant machine configuration is :

  STB tuner
  2940UW SCSI controller
  diamond stealth 64 video vram 2Mb
  Tyan s1662d with 2X150Mhz ppro's overclocked to 166Mhz

  P.S.  Thanks for all that great device driver work.  My next door neighbor
with Linux can't do real-time (or even single frame) video capture with his
driver yet.

							-Barry