Date:      08 Sep 2000 19:47:00 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports Options Paper

 * From: Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>

 * On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 06:52:53PM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

 * >  * This has been implemented by NetBSD already.
 * >
 * > Let's take it from them then.
 *
 * *sigh*  fine.. someone can figure out how different their code is
 * and how to merge it.. real great idea.. and then what if their
 * implementation is limited by their own system?  Or if there's a better
 * way to do it?

What are you trying to say?

 * Except that you can change the target on the command line, and it won't
 * make a difference which directory you're in.  The solution for clashing

You can do pretty much the same thing with the current system too.  If
you want to move more stuff into master ports (such as extra pkg
files, etc.) and leave only the Makefile in the slave ports, that will
be exactly like what you say here.  People can go to the master and
select the option or use one of the slaves which have some options
pre-selected for them.

 * It's not really related to ports-options.  However, it is an issue that
 * I'm not happy with.  I'm tired of having versioned port directories just
 * because our Makefile and CVS systems can't handle it otherwise.  In my
 * utopia system, both kde meta-ports would rest in x11/kde and you would
 * specify the version you wanted that way; this would also apply to the
 * various split-up ports around the tree.

What does CVS have to do with it?

At any rate, I actually happen to like the fact that currently, a port
can say "I depend on X libraries" by setting a dependency on
XFree86-4-libraries.  (Ok, so it is really buried in USE_* stuff, but
that's not the point.)  This leaves nothing unambiguous and makes
ports easy to understand/write/maintain.  I don't see anything wrong
with that.

Satoshi