Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2014 22:50:14 -0400
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
Cc:        Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File system issues

> On Oct 25, 2014, at 11:57 AM, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de> =
wrote:
>=20
> Two or 3 days ago, after an update to stable/10 my UFS file system
> started acting weird. I have freezes and files disappearing from the
> system.
>=20
> The first time that happened SU+J failed me. I.e. I went into single
> user mode and on the second fsck run it would still find errors that
> weren't successfully corrected due to the journal. That was the first
> time with the Samsung 840 PRO SSD.
>=20
> I rebuilt kernel/world, turned off journaling and rebooted, but the
> problems persisted. Yesterday I updated again:
> FreeBSD AprilRyan.norad 10.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-PRERELEASE #0 =
r273588: Fri Oct 24 17:18:14 CEST 2014     =
root@AprilRyan.norad:/usr/obj/S403/amd64/usr/src/sys/S403  amd64
>=20
> Today I suddenly couldn't use sysctl any more. It turned out /sbin was
> suddenly empty. A couple of minutes later the system froze. After the
> hard reset it came up like this (shortened to relevant bits):
> http://pastebin.com/kXLtg3JR
>=20
> As you can see I'm using geli for everything but /boot. After a hard
> reset I usually go into single user mode and run fsck twice (ever =
since
> I had some really bad experiences).
>=20
> It doesn't come up clean, but what turns up in lost+found are just
> files from the browser cache and /sbin is back.
>=20
> What terrifies me (apart from disappearing files) is what happens
> after the system goes through a suspend and resume cycle, starting
> at line 258 in the pastebin. The harddisk comes back up with new
> errors!
>=20
> I cannot pin down which version was the one last working for me, but
> it's uname already said something about 10.1-PRERELEASE.
>=20

Your symptoms sound very much like what we experienced with a recent
merge of code to 10-STABLE.  We don=E2=80=99t completely understand the =
problem,
but backing out r273272 avoids the problem, though it=E2=80=99s =
suspected that there=E2=80=99s
a bigger problem.  r273638 in HEAD backs out everything suspect, and =
we=E2=80=99ve
been running for several days now with no problems with it.  I believe =
that it=E2=80=99ll
be committed to 10-STABLE in the next day or two.

Scott