Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:57:36 +0900
From:      "Luke Kearney" <lukek@tkh.att.ne.jp>
To:        "Free BSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   yet more PPPoE woes

Hi all,
still battling away trying to get my PPPoE working properly. I get the
message below everytime I try to connect. I don't really understand what it
means and I am praying that someone can tell me.

Starting ppp as "root"Error: iface_inAdd: ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): 10.0.0.1: File
exists
Warning: set ifaddr: Failed 4
Error: iface_inAdd: ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): 10.0.0.1: File exists
Warning: set ifaddr: Failed 4

# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
ifconfig_vr0="UP"
hostname="mydomain.net"
linux_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="DDIAL"
ppp_profile="default"
gateway_enable="YES"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="vr0"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
sshd_enable="YES"
inetd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
bash-2.04#

bash-2.04# cat ppp.conf
default:
 set device PPPoE:vr0
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set dial
 set login
 set authname myusername@tkh.jpn@att.ne.jp
 set authkey  password
 set mtu 740
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add! default HISADDR                   # Add a (sticky) default route
 enable dns                             # request DNS info (for resolv.conf)
 nat enable yes

The releavant files are as above. I cannot for the life of me work out why
this is being such a problem. When I had a ISDN connection I never really
suffered from these problems albeit that I used to establish the connection
manually :-)