Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:25:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <fasi_74@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT question sorry but i need salution fast ....

You're received several solutions.  I'd just like to expand on one idea.

If you're connecting two buildings, I would suggest 802.11b (Wireless)
with directional antennas.  While the initial hardware investment would be
a bit more expensive than a bunch of hubs/switches ever 100meters.  You
would have significantly fewer points of failure (less cost long term.)

(I've seen 802.11 + directional antenna go over a mile.)

The major concern w/ wireless are;
a) Obstruction.  You need to have a clear line of sight at all times.
b) Security.  You must be very dilligent in setting up the security for
your wireless network.  Buying the cheapest access point and leave it at
the default config will ensure your network is compromised.

Hope this helps.

--
Chris

--
Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire